Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Just because I had to

Today's been one of those crazy days when you kinda get tired doing 'nothing'. These days, my days involve a lot of waiting - waiting for people, for the right time, for the work to get done. As we are getting ready to move into our own house after all these years, I guess the pleasure of it would far exceed the pain of getting it ready...[sigh]
Anyways, that's how the day started out. And then gathered momentum to include a lot of errands, some creative thinking, a lot of refreeing between my two little darlings (who think tagging along with mamma is a lot éventful' than staying at home watching TV)

So, by the time the kids are in bed, I'm thankful to God that I can still think straight. And that I know what new recipe I want to prepare tonite. If I do. Honestly, I'm hard pressed to find any enthusiasm for cooking today. But find it I did! and warmed up along the way. Oh and am I glad that I did ... after the first bite, DH refused to share the plate of gnochhi with me. That's a lot of 'praise' coming from one who's a fussy eater and who decides whether he's hungry or not depending on what the menu is!

Perfecting Gnocchi
(Potato gnocchi with Garlic herb seasoning)

You'll need:

2 large Potatoes
1/4 cup all purpose Flour (maida) + some for dusting
1 large egg yolk
Salt, freshly ground Pepper, garlic herb seasoning
2 tbsp Butter
Cheese (I had some cheddar handy)

1. Boil/microwave the potatoes until tender. Cool, peel, halve and grate them into a comfortably large bowl.

2. Add the egg yolk, salt, and flour to the bowl and mix everything using a fork into a stiff dough. Now knead the dough gently until smooth but slightly sticky.

3. In a deep saucepan, bring salted water to boil and then lower the heat to keep it simmering.
Line a plate with wax paper and dust with flour. On a floured surface, cut the dough into 4 pieces. Roll each piece into a 3/4-inch-think rope.Cut the rope into 3/4-inch pieces. Roll each piece against the tines of a fork to make ridges. Transfer to the plate.

4. Slip the gnocchi into the simmering water in batches and let cook until they float. Then simmer for 2-3 minutes longer. I noticed that the 2nd batch that went in looked much larger while cooking than the size they were cut and were subsequently tastier too. Drain them in a sieve.

5. Melt the butter in a non-stick pan, and using a slotted spoon slip the gnocchi in.
Season with salt and pepper. Toss them well for a minute on high heat, so that both sides get nicely browned and not overdone (like a few of mine did).

Sprinkle with grated cheese and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment